>

Monday, August 12, 2013

Music Mondays! :: SKILLET!

I have a confession :: I'm a panhead!

If you don't know what a panhead is it is a person who loves to listen to Skillet's music.

If you don't know who Skillet is, you're seriously missing out!

Skillet, a few weeks back, released a new studio album that is just. completely. awesome! I have been to a few Skillet concerts and would so go again! It's been a while...like 10 years! The energy, the passion in their music just makes my soul soar!

The following is a post I put on my personal blog when the album released! Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------
I don't remember the year but I remember sitting in a Chicago hotel lobby hanging out with friends and enjoying some down time before our next session of Bible Week. In the front doors walk 2 people dressed in black, fishnet stockings on their arms, gel in their hair making it stand up into "weird" positions, the guy was wearing make-up. I remember freaking out a bit, thinking who are these people walking into our Bible Week dressed like that?

Side note: I was in High School and appearances in my High School times said a lot about who you are, what you do, and what you like/love. Their appearance did not fit my very narrow world view at the time. I think this was one of my very first lessons that Christians don't have to look a certain way to love Christ with a deep passion. Remember, I come from a small town where the majority of the population look, dress, act, and practice faith in very similar ways.

I mentioned my apprehensions to an older friend sitting near me and he said "Oh, that's John and Korey Cooper from Skillet. They are a part of a sister church in Wisconsin." Wow, did I feel silly! Ever since, I have loved their music, loved their passion, loved their hearts that want to reach the unreachable!

Album Cover taken from skillet.com

Skillet released their first studio album in four years yesterday {eighth of all time}. I have been a Skillet fan {aka: Panhead} for over 12 years! I have attended around 4 concerts in my area, have been back stage, and enjoyed listening to their music for countless hours.

On Monday, the day before the release of "Rise" I was able to listen in full to the new album on billboard.com. I LOVE IT!

It's more than an album, it's a story!

I have yet to grab my copy, as I'm not quite sure if I want CD form or to buy on iTunes. There's something about having their CD in my possession that makes the music more real. {Just like with books, I'm prefer a book in my hands to a device with an e-book.}

I've read a few articles on the album and would like to share them with you here.

USA Today
Billy Graham
Billboard

Want to listen? Billboard still has up their Exclusive Premiere!

Listen to the Album on Billboard
Also, check You Tube for great videos!

My favorite song: "American Noise" and "Salvation"
Best Lyrics: "American Noise"
Best Rhythm: "My Religion"
------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your week and find encouragement in the music you listen to!


1 comment: