>

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Finding Faith {Obedience}

A short time ago I began reading the book Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst. A shorter time ago, life got busy and the book sat on the night stand until two nights ago when I picked it back up. The bookmark was gone. Two thoughts entered my head; one, start from the beginning or two, try and find where I left off. I chose to start the book again. I'm so glad I did!

A verse Lysa uses in the book really captured my attention, more so than the first time reading it.

2 Corinthians 10:5 
"...take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Our thoughts can control how we react to everything in life. But as Christians we have a higher calling to take those fallible thoughts and turn them into obedience to the One who created us. 

For example, I struggle with anxiety and often times my thoughts are "I can't do this, I don't want to do this, it makes me uncomfortable therefore I will not do it." But when I make those thoughts obey God's word and God's will for my life it turns into "God is with me and will guide me through this. I may not want to do this but God has me here for a reason. I may be uncomfortable but God is my source of comfort."

See how I turned these thoughts away from "I" and "me" and directed them to "God" and His truth in and for my life!

Such inspiration, comfort, and conviction I found in this verse! 

THEN, I read the the verses before this and realized Paul was talking about how the weapons we {Christians} use are not the weapons of this world but "...have divine power to demolish strongholds." (I often find safety in doing what is comfortable and routine for me. My anxiety can sometimes rule in my life. It must be demolished...and I'm working on that!)

WOW!!!

And with these weapons {that are not of this world!} we are able to "...take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ."

All I can say is thank you JESUS! for these weapons (God's Word) that help us defeat our worldly thoughts!

See the full chapter of 2 Corinthians 10 here! (all emphasis in this post are my own!)


1 comment:

  1. I love Lysa TurKeurst. Her writing is so real and at times very raw but always truthful.

    ReplyDelete