>

Monday, September 16, 2013

Music Mondays! :: "It is Well With My Soul"

Horatio G. Spafford penned "It is Well With My Soul" after two very, very difficult times in his life happened almost back to back. First, the great Chicago fire of 1871 was financially devastating for Spafford's family and then in 1873, while his wife and daughters traveled across the ocean their boat sank and he lost his four daughters. Read the story in full here.

Horatio understood that no matter what life brings, we must keep steady in our faith and keep God close. Where some people would find bitterness, Horatio found a peace that only we as Christians can know.

Soon I will be writing my story where peace was so overwhelming through the midst of a great trial for Hubby and I. But until then, these are my favorite verses of this hymn. 


(picture found on Google Images)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
...
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
...
But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

Have a great week and look for the peace that is only found in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to say that Amazing Grace is still my all time favorite hymn. I absolutely love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete